Sunday, January 25, 2009

Fossil Contender

Another fossil related song that just came out - "Fossil Contender" by the Gourds. This is a band that I remember playing in town when I was an undergrad at the University of Arkansas. This song is on their new album Haymaker! Listen to it here.

Fossil Contender

Fossil contender
Make it a short one laddy
No matter if I opt out or not
He got his always worried about what I got
Well, I got a knuckle honey
And you have the fin
But we don’t even know if this thing
used to walk or swim

CHORUS

I dug up a skull
I made a mold
Filled it with plaster
And you know what I was told?
Well how would you feel
If I dug up your head
Well I wouldn’t want to be fielding
any of your loaded questions
Fossil contender
Make it a short one laddy
Way after their time underground
Back of my head smells like a kick drum
Sight undisturbed
Resting satisfied or
I’ve got to find a new home for the petrified
Fossil contender
Make it a short one laddy

I want to make a CD someday of all paleo related songs. Can anyone out there think of any others?

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, "Walk the Dinosaur" by: the Goombas? Um, the Jurassic Park theme song by: John Williams.

Tony Edger said...

Single line from King of Pain by The Police:

"There's a fossil that's trapped in a high cliff wall . . . ."

MDR said...

ALLEY OOP by the Hollywood Argyles comes to mind. (I'm showing my age). The link here is to a version by Ray Stevens.

Go here for the lyrics and video of WALKING IN YOUR FOOTSTEPS by the Police.

WALK THE DINOSAUR by Was (Not Was) is another.

Incidently, if you add "&fmt=18" (without the quotation marks) to the end of just about any YouTube video URL, then hit return, it plays the video in a slightly higher definition.

Patty R. said...

There's a song that's sort of popular up here in Canada by the group Wintersleep called "Archaeologist". It's really weird. Now I know it's not the same, but it is about a fossil - at least I think it is. Here are the lyrics:

The archaelogists found
Some winged boy's remains
Stained by the fire and clouds
In the belly of a whale
The day the lightning came
(Chorus) Belly of a whale
Packed up and shipped to London
Discard, discard the rotted parts
Preserve the heart and lungs

Anonymous said...

Bad Religion has a song called "Part IV (The Index Fossil)"

220mya said...

This one is a bit more geological, but the song "Close to the Edge" by the band "Yes" includes these lyrics:

"On the hill we viewed the silence of the valley,
Called to witness cycles only of the past."

And then of course there is "Horse with No Name" by "America":

"After three days in the desert fun I was looking at a riverbed;
And the story it told of a river that flowed made me sad to think it was dead."

220mya said...

Forgot to add that Green Gabbro had a post about geological love songs a while back - it mentions a dinosaur song:

Love Songs for Geoscientists

ReBecca Hunt-Foster said...

Thanks everyone! These are great. I knew about a few of them, but not all! this is a step in the right direction for my CD project!
Thanks, keep them coming if you can think of any others! These will go well with the Burgess Shale group and of course the Tiktaalik song!

Anonymous said...

FYI - There is a group called Birdsongs of the Mesozoic. See:

http://www.birdsongsofthemesozoic.org/

Rob Sternberg said...

And if you want to go classical, don't forget Saint-Saens, Carnival of the Animals, Movement XII - Fossiles ... from Rob, your colleague at http:/shakingearth.blogspot.com

LuLu and the TomCat said...

We are LuLu and the TomCat, and were commissioned by the Canadian Fossil Discovery Centre (Morden, MB) to write 4 songs for their education outreach program. We ended up producing an entire CD called Fossil Rock. It contains songs devoted to fossils and related subjects, such as "Mary Anning," "Do the Dig,", etc. Details may be found at
http://www.mts.net/~tomlori/fossil_cd.html
Sound clips may be heard at
http://cdbaby.com/cd/lulutomcat4

LuLu