Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Science Diversity Meme - Women Scientists

SES (Science, Education & Society) has a blog meme posted this week: Can you name 5 Women Scientists from each scientific discipline?

I figure this should be easy enough:

Of course Biology/Biomedical/Geology/Paleontology come to mind first:
1. Cathy Forster
2. Karen Chin
3. Frankie Jackson
4. Brenda Chinnery-Allgeier
5.
Eva B. Koppelhus

but heck, why stop there...
6.
Mary Dawson
7. Kay Behrensmeyer
8.
Linda Deck
9.
Penny Higgins
10. Joanna Wright
11. Kristie
Curry-Rogers
12.
Blaire Van Valkenburgh
13.
Julia Sankey
14. Zofia Kielan-Jaworowska
15.
Jessica Theodor
16. Anne Weil
17. Darla
Zelenitsky
18.
Emily Rayfield
19. Caroline Stromberg
20.
Alison Murray
21. Kelli Trujillo
22. Julia Clarke
23.
Mary Schweitzer
24. Halszka Osmolska
25.
Anjali Goswami
26. Karen Sears
27. Cara Burres-Jones
28. Jaelyn Eberle
29.
Annalisa Berta
30.
Catherine Badgley

'Just' Geology:
1. Peggie Guccione
2. Pam Jansma
3. Moira Ridley

'Just' Biology:
1. Diana Fosse
2. Jane Goodall

Biochemistry
1. Pam Trotter

Geography:
1. Jennifer Horwath
2. Fiona Davidson

And those are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head, who have Ph.D.'s. If you toss in all the awesome chicks that work in museums, colleges and prep that just do not happen to have a Ph.D. I am sure I could find just as many :)
I'll admit that John helped me with some of the names and spellings. The meme also asked for info, hence all the links.
Can you think of any I am missing? I know there have to be more that I am just forgetting.
.

5 comments:

Mike Keesey said...

You remembered Halszka Osmolska but not Teresa Maryanska?

(Stifles urge to make tasteless joke about Baron Franz von Nopcsa.)

ReBecca Hunt-Foster said...

That was one of John's names he remembered. I will admit to having forgotten that one.

Sternberg Museum, Fort Hays State University said...

Mary Krause
Dena Smith
Sue Kidwell
Elisabeth Vrba
Tanya Atwater

The Urban Scientist said...

Happy Easter,

Thanks for all of the additions. I didn't know any female paleontologists. Thanks for the add-in.

The Urban Scientist said...

Thanks for participating in the Science Diversity Meme - Women in Science. I've summarized the Meme and catalogued many of the submitted names. Visit the Women in Science Summary at my blog.