Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Who is up for a good challenge?

For those of us that do research (or try to do research), you are probably familiar with having a few projects sitting around unfinished for a variety of reasons. I know I currently only have one actual manuscript in the works, with words on paper. And I have to give credit for all of that happening to my co-author who is quite a bit more motivated and on top of things than I have been this past summer. I have two other projects that are languishing in the data acquisition stage, and have been for quite some time. If you, like me, need some motivation, I suggest you take up the challenge put forth by Andy of the Open Source Paleontologist and Dave Hone of Archosaur Musings - the Paleo Paper Challenge (or Palaeo Paper Challenge). You can read more about it here and here, but what it boils down too is this:
  1. Sign up to participate over at the Open Source Paleontologist
  2. Get that paper finished by January 1, 2010.
It is that easy (or hard)! I am going to jump on board. Hope to see a few of you there! I am looking forward to both the motivation, support and friendly competition.

6 comments:

Tor Bertin said...

Sweet stuff! As mentioned in Andy's post, I can't participate to the full extent (I'm waiting on somebody to publish some numbers before I'm able to submit for publication), but I'll definitely join in spirit. ;-)

ReBecca Hunt-Foster said...

Awesome. I know how that can be. I have some measurements that I can not publish on either until the actual description is published. Hopefully soon :)

Anonymous said...

Despite me not being a professional paleontologist and still in high school, I hope to contribute in some way, which was why I have already signed up, but I require more information. :P

So, can you Dr. Foster, be kind enough to explain it a little more, please? That would be greatly appreciated. :P

ReBecca Hunt-Foster said...

Please, its ReBecca ;)

It is basically motivation for anyone who has been working on a project that they have not finished. What type of science classes are you taking at school right now? Maybe you could work with your teacher to develop a project for extra credit or for a science fair entry that you could use this challenge? Please let any of us paleo bloggers know if you need help with a project. Andy Farke (The Open Source Paleontologist) published a paper while he was still in high school, so he may be a good person to contact and ask how to get started.

Good luck! Glad to have you on board!

Anonymous said...

Okay, ReBecca. I might do that, although I thought this was the Open Dinosaur Project you were referring to. :P Oh well! I think something could be arranged.

ReBecca Hunt-Foster said...

Nope RL, this is a different project. But you can do both.