Sunday, April 20, 2008

Geologist for Gravel

Who? What?

Exactly! Beats me.

I just took the 'Glassbooth' quiz to see which politician that is running for President my values and opinions most match up with. It kicked back this answer:

Mike Gravel shares a 84% similarity with your beliefs


former Senator, (D-AK)
Mike Gravel was born on May 13, 1930 (!). He served the state of Alaska as a Democratic Senator in the U.S. Senate from 1969 to 1981. He is primarily known for his efforts in ending the draft following the Vietnam War (Yea for that!). While a Senator, Gravel spoke the Pentagon Papers into public record. On March 26, 2008, he announced he would no longer be running for president as a democrat, but as a libertarian (had to look that one up), citing differences over the war in Iraq.
  • Environment and Energy - very similar
  • Social Security - very similar
  • Iraq and Foreign Policy - very similar
  • Abortion and Birth Control - very similar
  • Health Care - similar
  • Taxes and Budget - similar
  • Education - similar
  • Civil Liberties and Domestic Security - similar
  • Gay Rights - similar
  • Immigration - different

Then it tells me I am 78% similarity with Hillary and 76% with Barack. Interesting. Not that I am going to base my vote on what a quiz tells me to do. But still, interesting. I have never heard of Mr. Gavel to be honest. No offense to him, but when I saw "1930" I realized the dude is pretty old and has seen quite a bit I am sure. Plate Tectonics didn't even exist yet when he was a kid (well, he's not that old - they existed, it was just not a recognized theory yet)! I thought McCaine was old, but this guy takes the cake. I wonder why I have not heard of him till now (other than that heavy rock I live under), since we seem to have similar values.

I would be interested in hearing where others fall out in this quiz, if they like to share their results.

5 comments:

C W Magee said...

I had Gravel and Obama tied at 69% as favorites (it listed Gravel first), which is odd, since they both had a lot of red strong disagreements up. My actual preferred candidate scored only 59% but there were fewer subject areas with strong disagreement.

So I don't really get how it does its math.

Silver Fox said...

I sometimes vote libertarian, so thanks for keeping me informed (!). I have never heard of him - my parents have been in AK for a couple decades - never heard any stories about him, and Alaska politicians can be pretty weird (so maybe he's not, if there were no stories to tell).

Now, off to take the quiz.

Silver Fox said...

Well, I took the quiz, and posted the results. Interesting...

Anonymous said...

hmmm, but then you look at it another way and he isn't as old as your grandpa, and only twenty years older than me! youbetter watch who you call old, you young whippersnapper!

mom

ReBecca Hunt-Foster said...

I guess when you see 1930 it just seems like a really long time ago. Do we want someone who is 80 as our resident? Makes you wonder who the VP would be (since that cold be important)...